Damp Problems FAQs

What type of survey is required?

When purchasing or selling a property, the valuation survey might state that the property has “dampness to ground level walls”. We regularly complete inspections for people in this stage of the purchasing/selling process. It is important to have a survey undertaken by a CSRT qualified damp specialist. All of our surveyors hold current and complete qualifications for all relevant areas of work. Upon completion of the inspection, we can submit a full report and quotation, which will be helpful both throughout negotiations and completion. Alternatively, you can commission an independent surveyor to complete a survey. In this case, you can pay the surveyor to complete the inspection, and they can offer an unbiased opinion. If you would like advice on independent surveyors that we trust, please don’t hesitate to call.

The predominate reason that building materials biodegrade is because they are affected by water, known as water ingress. This can lead to serious damp related problems for a property which is why it’s fundamental to the preservation and maintenance of all buildings that they remain as watertight as possible.

Any defect permitting access of moisture into the fabric of a building must be remedied or treated to prevent further entry of water, and the area affected by water dried out. In order to identify defects that can lead to water ingress and to identify areas within the building that are at risk of fungal decay, a detailed inspection should be undertaken by a competent specialist who will carry out an external and internal investigation of the property.